Friday, July 2, 2010

Petites - Dare

Some days are just too good to be true. I've been lemming for a blue flaky polish for absolute AGES now, and whining to my husband about it sadly. Right now, I'm not able to send off for any of the Nfu-Oh polishes, no matter how much I'd love to. So until then, I've been dreaming wistfully, and drooling over pictures online.

Until last night. We'd gone for a walk at our local WalMart and decided to wander through the clearance department. I'm *SO* glad we did, because there in a small box of clearance cosmetics, mixed in among the off shades of MaryKate and Ashley blushes and who-knows-how-old lip glosses was a bottle of Petites polish in Dare.

It was such a pretty shade of blue, and with the Fourth of July coming up so quickly, I decided to carry it with me through the store while we walked, considering if I really wanted to buy it. Yea, it was on clearance, and it's not terribly expensive to begin with, but I've found that carrying something with me for a while lets me decide if I really want to buy it, or if it's just one of those spur-of-the-moment purchases.

But the more I looked at it and saw how glittery and perfect the color was, the more I realized I wanted to bring this little polish home with me. It was perfect for a patriotic manicure, and it was totally the right price. But once I got home and started to apply it I started looking more closely at it. Could it be, I wondered? Are those really little flakies?!

It IS! Beautiful little flakes of glitter, mixed in with a mix of tiny microglitters in shades of silver, teal, and pink, of all colors, float in a gorgeous sheer blue that builds to opacity in three coats. I can't stop looking at it. And most of all, I am loving the fact that I almost put this little gem back on the shelf!

Every now and then I make a good decision! ;)

That prompted today's mani. I wanted something patriotic, but not too over-the-top. I wanted to use the ZOMG gorgeous blue, along with my favorite red glitter polish.. Actually, I pulled out something like 10 bottles, trying to figure out what to use.

I settled on Petites Dare for the blue, Heaven Nail Lacquer for the red, my Art Deco white striper, and an unnamed Sally Hansen Salon silver that came in a 5-pack of minis that I got on sale. The silver did an awesome job of covering the red and white stripes in one coat... talk about fantastic!

Finally I added a single rhinestone (albeit a rather large one!) onto each nail, mainly to cover up the white dot I screwed up on the tip of my left hand. You would know I messed up the one I could paint easily! But whatever... it worked out. :D

4 comments:

  1. I love those accidental fab finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! This one snuck up on me. You can't really see the flakes well in my pics, sadly enough. =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this!! so detailed and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, thank you!! I'm tempted to try it in other colors now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I may not reply due to time constraints, but I read every comment and I appreciate them all!

Please don't leave links in my comments unless they directly apply to a conversation. If you want a link exchange, feel free to email me. Spam links will be deleted.