Monday, January 10, 2011

Wordles are fun...

I've been having such a fun time the last few days. I'm half sick again, and I'm blaming it on the weather. But I'm goofing off with craft supplies which always makes me happy. I haven't painted my nails in *gasp* a whole week! They're filed down to nubbins, and got totally destroyed with a bad experience with stick-on nails, but that's a story for another day. In the meantime, I'm having loads of fun crafting! But first, let me show you what this morning's web wanderings have inspired...




Talk about a joyful project to put together! It's quick and easy, too, and you can build you own! Or, you could go see this one at its original size..., whatever makes you happy. It's fast and easy,, and you get to spend time on the fun parts and leave the tedious stuff to the computer.

Ok, back to crafts... *starts bouncing and singing "Back to life... back to reality..."*

Erm, excuse me. I got sidetracked a bit there. What can I say, sometimes I need a musical interlude! Life is short, sing more often! Where was I....

Oh, yes. Crafting! I recently received a bunch of vintage crafting supplies, including a lot of zippers! Now, I know, most people would think, "What the heck and I going to do with a ziploc bag full of zippers?" I, on the other hand, immediately saw a collection of hair ornaments! Or brooches, or shoe clips, or perhaps necklaces...

I brought them home, did a quick google to see if I could find any patterns to do what I had in mind (I couldn't, exactly. I found some sort of similar ideas, but nothing that really helped.), then hauled out my sewing box and got to town. I redid the first set four or five times, and finally came up with a rose I was happy with. Then I noticed I had an army green zipper. That would be a lovely leaf, if I could figure out how to do it...

I stitched up a lovely leaf, but the backside was hideous. I thought of ways to disguise it... perhaps satin stitching, or stitching two leaves back to back. But then...  If I only had some felt, I could hide the back...

I invested a crazy 60 cents into felt, but as I got started, I realized something else!  If I were to pad this a bit, that leaf would be three dimensional!

It's like If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, only instead it's If You Give A Laynie A Zipper!! But hey, the end result came out adorable!! At least, I think it did! Now, I just need to decide what to attach it to- will this be a hair clip, or a brooch, or... wait, I said that already. Yea. Whatever. Just look at the pretty pictures, will ya? :D

A pretty zipper rose with one of the leaves...
A single leaf. I think I like this...
There are three stitches left to make. Can you find them?
I thought I was going to go blind working on this!

I'm really, really happy with the finished product!
So, what do you think? Would you buy one of these if they happened to turn up in my Etsy shop? What would you expect to pay for one of these? C'mon, work with me here, people! :D


4 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Just like those ring zippers we talked about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAAAH, These are too cute <3
    I like the flower better by itself rather than with the leaves, but thats my personal opinion *_*~

    ReplyDelete
  3. its cute! best attached to a headband, i think=)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I may not reply due to time constraints, but I read every comment and I appreciate them all!

Please don't leave links in my comments unless they directly apply to a conversation. If you want a link exchange, feel free to email me. Spam links will be deleted.