Monday, July 4, 2011

The Fun of Frankening- Frankencrackle!

This entire entry shows what happens when I get to talking on Twitter. It started out simply enough- I was goofing off, working on photos while I talked to some friends online. Then someone mentioned wondering if she could mix regular shimmery nail polish into crackle polish, and I realized I'd been wondering about that myself. Could you actually franken your own crackle polish colors?

As I talked with my husband, he made a quick joke and I realized that not only would I do some research, I would have to make a mascot. Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce my new frankening mascot- the Mysterious Mr. Frankencrackle!


Cute, isn't he? And yes, in the interest of full disclosure, the above image is a photo illustration based on nail art I did last night. You can see the original nail on my yfrog account. Since he's a mascot I may use again, I wanted  to make him a little cleaner, a little cuter.

So, the experiments. I wondered several things: 
  • Can you thin crackle polish with regular nail polish thinner? 
  • Can you mix colors of crackle polish together? 
  • Can you mix regular nail polish into crackle polish?
  • Can you mix pigments or glitter into crackle polish?
The results were interesting, but to spare you the long, very wordy description, I'll simply let the photos speak for themselves. :D






 So, to sum up:
  • Can you thin crackle polish with regular nail polish thinner? 
    • Yes! Regular nail polish thinner does thin crackle polish, but thinning it too much makes it look a bit odd. It still crackles nicely, though.
  • Can you mix colors of crackle polish together? 
    • Absolutely! It helps to add a drop or two of thinner to give it a bit more open time, before it dries out too much to apply.
  • Can you mix regular nail polish into crackle polish?
    • Absolutely NOT. It turns everything into a goopy, sludgy mess. NOT attractive at all!
  • Can you mix pigments or glitter into crackle polish?
    • Yes, you can! Pigments and glitter do mix nicely into crackle polish. However, you may need some thinner so you don't end up with a total gloppy mess that's too thick to apply!
Check back later today, I'm hoping to finally get my Fourth of July polishes up! I know they don't help much today, but hey, you still have time before tonight, right? :D


Crackle polishes were provided by the manufacturer for consideration.
See my disclosure statement for more information.

8 comments:

  1. So cool :D And I love him :) I cant wait to see some future frankens ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I've actually got a nail design coming up that has almost-all custom colors on it! I just didn't have the colors I wanted to use for it, so I got out my mixing cups and made my own! It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tips!!
    I didn't know!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. rock-or-not: You're very welcome! Neither did I, that's why I did the experiments! It was frustrating, but also interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much!! I want to make a crackle that I haven't been able to find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poe: you're welcome! I love helping people, and sometimes I want to know things that just don't have answers I can find. We're all in this together, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for your experiments. I have a white crackle which i hate because i dont like any kind of crackle polish :S ive been considering mixing a non crackle to see what would happen but i won't now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I could help...it's not a pretty sight! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I may not reply due to time constraints, but I read every comment and I appreciate them all!

Please don't leave links in my comments unless they directly apply to a conversation. If you want a link exchange, feel free to email me. Spam links will be deleted.