Sunday, January 16, 2011

Think Good Thoughts For Us, Please?

This is a very quick post to apologize for the lack of content for today and the next few days, as well as to let you know what's going on. If you follow me on Facebook,you'll know what I'm talking about already. For those of you who don't, I'll explain briefly.

My husband and I live next door to my mom. Early this morning she woke us up, knocking hysterically on our door, sobbing that she thought her dog was dying. We immediately threw some clothes on and ran over to see what we could do, trying to get the story from her as we did. It seems that Sirius (so named because she's a black dog with a tiny pinpoint of white on her chest, so she's the dog star) was sleeping on the sofa this morning and had a seizure. When she came to she was disoriented and didn't know mom or the other dog Champagne, even though they're the best of friends and often snuggle together. Siri growled at mom and was acting as if she might bite her, so mom quickly closed her into the living room and ran to get us, leaving Champagne in the kitchen.

When we got to her house, I tried to calm my mom down while my husband went to check on the dog. He quickly came back saying she'd growled at him, but that she seemed more scared than aggressive. He got her favorite squeaky ball and tried again, and apparently the squeak of the ball cut through the cloudiness in her head, because she immediately snapped back to herself and ran to him for snuggles and reassurance. They came in to see us and she made the rounds, giving all of us (even Champagne) kisses and doggy hugs.

She still didn't seem herself, totally, though- she wasn't focused, and she seemed very hyper. Mom was terrified, I was terrified... I didn't realize it until I spoke with him afterward but even my husband was terrified. That's one thing I love about him- he's my rock, my calm stable point in times of chaos. He managed to keep us from running in circles without knowing what to do.

Anyway, it was a very long stressful morning, including a rushed trip to the local vet and a very long wait trying to keep Siri from losing her mind at the vet's office. She's not used to other people and other dogs, and she's had to be muzzled at the vet before. It went surprisingly well, though, and now we're waiting to see what happens next.

We don't know why she had the seizure, we don't know if it's a late-onset epilepsy or a reaction to something she's eaten. It could even be a uterine infection, because she hasn't been spayed or had puppies, so that could be the cause. We just don't KNOW, and that's pretty stressful for all of us. I expect to be spending a lot of time at mom's trying to help keep her sane over the next few days, and I don't think that's going to leave a lot of time for blogging and nail art. I'll see if I have some stuff in the In Progress folder to post, but things might be kind of quiet for the next few days.

I'm sure you guys will understand, and I'll let y'all know if we hear anything, good or bad. Just... if you can, send some good thoughts our way? For all of us, my mom and the dogs and everyone. We all love her a lot, and want her to be the healthy, adorable devious little muttley who makes us all smile.

Til next time.

Nothing much to disclose, other than I'm worried sick!
See my disclosure statement for more information.

10 comments:

  1. I have 4 dogs myself, so I understand that they are family to us. I'm sending some good vibes your way and I hope it's something minor and she'll be back to normal in no time! Hugs, puppy hugs and all that,
    -UneLuneBleue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hope everything goes well, I know what it must be like for all of you to go through it. About 6 years ago one of my dogs just dropped dead after a walk, and then a few years after that my other dog had some serious liver issues and we thought he was going to die. We brought him home to die, but he's still with us today, albeit with arthritis. He still trembles each time we take him to the vet. I really hope your mum's dog gets better, and becomes himself again. I'm sure the other dog's worried for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i am so sorry to hear about your dog.
    I have a dog too and i dont know how i would cope in your situation. ill it upsetting hope all will be ok dogs are like family members if they get ill its upsetting hope all will be ok x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sorry to hear about your situation. Pets are a part of the family and when they hurt we hurt. I'm sending you, your family and Sirius many good thoughts. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooohhhhh.. :( Poor doggy!! I just got a puppy 2 weeks ago, and am already a worry bug about simple things like wheezing when he's too excited. I can only imagine how distressing this situation is for all of your family! I'll include her in my prayers tonight. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your mom's dog. There's nothing like seeing a dog (or anything!) in pain and fear and not knowing how to help. It's terrifying for all. :( I hope Sirius gets better and better! Oh, and I definitely melted a bit when I read about your husband. :) Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw Laynie! I just read this now. I'm so sorry to hear about yout mom's pup. I hope they find out what's wrong. It must be so hard that you know you know the pup but they don't show any signs of recognition. That is terrifying. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really hope she gets better and that it's nothing serious! I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there,

    This is the lovely Laynie's mom. I wanted to thank her, her family, and each and every one of you for your thoughts and prayers for Sirius. Positive thoughts and prayers can work wonders, so thank you again to each of you. I honestly believe she is going to be all right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor thing! The part where he got the squeaky toy about made me cry :( lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I may not reply due to time constraints, but I read every comment and I appreciate them all!

Please don't leave links in my comments unless they directly apply to a conversation. If you want a link exchange, feel free to email me. Spam links will be deleted.